- This event has passed.
NVC & Somatic Approaches to Trauma – Dunedin
26 September, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is a comprehensive 4 module training with a variety of structures to attend. In this training Dr Paris Williams weaves a collage of somatic approaches to trauma through the foundations and principles of Nonviolence with NVC providing the perspective and framework to communicate and understand client experiences.
In particular, you will…
… learn a simple yet powerful universal framework for making sense of extreme emotional and traumatic states, helping you to identify where your clients’ experiences are on the spectrum of ANS (Autonomic Nervous System) arousal, and therefore which interventions are likely to be most helpful at any given point in the therapy process. This theoretical framework is based on the latest research on the psychology and physiology of trauma.
… learn a broad map outlining the essential stages of the overarching process of trauma-focused therapy.
… develop your own capacity as a therapist to remain present and grounded, safely holding the space for clients to do the difficult work of trauma recovery, while not risking your own dysregulation, vicarious trauma and “burnout”.
… learn a number of effective yet relatively simple mindful-somatic tools based on these methods that you can begin using right away to…
- Help your clients develop confidence working with strong feelings and nervous sytem dysregulation
- Help your clients develop a sense of groundedness, presence and orientation
- Help your clients to develop a rich and healthy connection with their own feelings and needs
- Make the distinction between a beneficial “emotional release” and being “stuck in a trauma response”
- Work with flashbacks, intrusive memories and nightmares
- Work with somatization (unresolved feelings/memories held within the body)